(Recorded July 9, 2016)
In this episode, Kyle, Jack and Brian are joined by BlackNerdProblems.com’s Omar Holmon for a fun and spirited conversation about the first arc, characterizations, diversity on the page vs diversity behind the scenes, and plot devices used to rush into the next event (hint: ZZZT!).
- 0:00 – Intro; Welcome Omar, Miles is now a Champion
- 4:22 – Spider-Man #5 recap
- 5:26 – The handling of race in this arc – was it effective or cringeworthy? Would the writer’s background change a reader’s POV on characters like Gloria being “stereotypical” vs. “authentic?” Miles goes Super Saiyan. Is there a point to personal conflicts in this series? Diverse characters are great, but what about diverse creative teams?
- 45:39 – Our three-word reviews
- 46:50 – Thanks and Outro
Stuff that we mentioned in this episode:
- Brian’s review of Spider-Man #5 at Superior Spider-Talk
- Omar’s review of Spider-Man #2
- BlackNerdProblems: Miles Morales vs. Spider-Man: When You and Your Blackness Disagree
- Miles joins The Champions
- Death of X
- Secret Wars finale
- Super Saiyan
- Everybody Hates Chris: “Slap me into another nationality…”
- “How do you do, fellow kids?”
- Heel turn
- Riri Williams is Iron Man (probably for a year or two)
- Ta-Nahesi Coates’ Black Panther
- Jeff Lemire’s Moon Knight
Also check out:
- Omar Holmon
- Omar on Twitter
- Kyle on Twitter
- Kyle’s site: Nerds Unchained. Interested in writing for the site? Just let Kyle know!
- Jack on Twitter; Jack’s show: Inter-Comics Podcast
- Brian’s site
- Our opening theme courtesy of Kevin D. Hartnell
Thank you for listening! We’d love to hear from you: Send us your comments at email@example.com! If you send us an mp3 with a comment or question, we’ll feature it in the show!