(Recorded June 12, 2016)
A special “point one” (or “point three”, but who’s counting?) episode where Brian got to talk with JASON LATOUR, the writer and co-creator of Radioactive Spider-Gwen!
We covered a *lot* of ground in this episode, diving right into the book’s themes of family, identity, and of course, power and responsibility. Jason shares his take on writing a popular female lead character, the inspirations behind her supporting cast, and the positive and not-so-positive reactions that he’s encountered about the series. We also got a behind-the-scenes peek at how both the Spider-Women crossover and Gwen’s upcoming annual came together, along with some tantalizing hints about the future…
And while it’s a bit of a detour for our podcast, we couldn’t pass up the chance to discuss Jason’s work as artist and co-creator on the Eisner-nominated Southern Bastards (which just wrapped its “Homecoming” arc and has a bit more in common with Spider-Gwen than you might think). That part of our conversation happens around 1:08:00 so you can skip ahead to around 1:27:30 if you’d like to, although you should stick around for the first minute or two to hear Jason’s lost (and hilarious) bootleg concept for an alternate Spider-Man…
This was a great and truly in-depth conversation with a talented creator and a good dude – we hope that you enjoy it!
Stuff that we’d mentioned in this episode (yeah, there’s a lot!):
- Steve Ditko’s Mr. A (referenced in Spider-Gwen vol. 1, #1)
- Tiger Force! A Jack Kirby deep cut from Radioactive Spider-Gwen #7
- Kraven’s Last Hunt
- Loose Ends – Jason’s independent book with artist Chris Brunner and colorist Rico Renzi
- Info on the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe series
- Jason’s Spider-Gwen playlist for Paste Magazine
- Gwen as part of the All-New All-Different Marvel promotion campaign
- Yasmeen Putri’s Radioactive Spider-Gwen 8 cover homage to Amazing Spider-Man #50
- Chris Visions’ Dead Letters
- Gwen in All-New Wolverine annual
- The Gwenom arc (which Jason clarifies during our conversation)
- Radioactive Spider-Gwen Annual #1
- Image Comics’ Southern Bastards by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour
- The Dukes of Hazzard
- Jason’s and Robbi Rodriguez’s lost NSFW bootleg comic: Spring Break Wolverine
- Preview of Jason’s new Image book Black Cloud, with Ivan Brandon, Greg Hinkle, and Matt Wilson
- Video rental store
- Jason’s Winter Soldier run
You can find Jason at:
HUGE THANKS to Jason for taking the time out of his busy schedule to chat with us!
Brian met Jason at Special Edition NYC 2015
We’d love to hear from you! Send us your comments at email@example.com! If you send us an mp3, we’ll feature it in the show!