(Recorded March 5, 2016)
What happens when the world discovers that the new Spider-Man is not a white guy? And what does Miles think of the reaction? Brian, Kyle, and Jack take a look at race, identity, validation, and venom stings in Spider-Man #2! Plus we share your feedback and announce the winners of our variant cover giveaway!
- 0:00 – Intro
- 1:32 – Spider-Man #2 basic recap (Happy Birthday, Kyle!); Things get weird right away
- 3:33 – Spider-Man meets Spider-Man: Does Miles need Peter to validate him every time?
- 6:44 – Blackheart + Zzzt = Yawn. Could Miles beat the Avengers?
- 10:54 – We discuss Miles’ reaction as he finally confronts race and identity; Being a person versus a poster child
- 18:16 – Sara Pichelli & Justin Ponsor’s art; Range of emotion
- 21:56 – That cliffhanger! Gulp.
- 26:19 – Three-word summary (no editing); Tapping the fourth wall
- 29:13 – Contest winners!
- 32:36 – Listener feedback: Passing the torch?
- 36:02 – Wrap-up (does anyone e-mail anymore?); Kyle’s May 22nd run for charity; Outro
Stuff that we mentioned in this episode:
- Brian’s review of Spider-Man #2 at Superior Spider-Talk
- Our interview with Radioactive Spider-Gwen colorist Rico Renzi
- Kyle’s 10K fundraiser for the British Heart Foundation
- Superior Spider-Talk Patreon
Also check out:
- Jack’s show: Inter-Comics Podcast
- Kyle’s site: Nerds Unchained. Interested in writing for the site? Just let Kyle know!
- Our opening theme: Circles of Black and Red by Kevin D. Hartnell
Thank you for listening! We’d love to hear from you: Send us your comments at firstname.lastname@example.org! If you send us an mp3, we’ll feature it in the show!